Saturday, October 11, 2008

The Queen's English?


I'm not sure when I started noticing this. Probably when I started regularly reading British online news. But I'm pretty sure that referring to singular nouns such as a team, band or company in the plural form is a relatively recent development.

Shouldn't the teaser for the Telegraph article shown above read "The team gives their verdict on Audi's latest SUV, the Q5. Is it as groundbreaking as Audi claims?"

I've noticed this start to creep into US media, as well. It's just one of those things that makes my eyelid twitch, like when someone says "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less". Every time I hear that I want to whack the idiot in the mouth with a 2 x 4 and scream, "Oh, so you do care, so you could care less?"

Hey, it's easier than worrying about the next Great Depression.

No comments: