Sunday, November 02, 2008

Selfish? Who's selfish?

Something which has probably occurred to brighter people everywhere but which has only recently found its way into my feeble, aging, beer-soaked brain is the recurring difference between how liberals and conservatives view politics. Reading conservative blogs, and many of the comments posted on them, you'll see concern (OK, sometimes hysteria, too) over the implications of an Obama presidency. Those concerns generally focus on national security, the economy, individual freedoms, etc. In other words, they worry about how a President Obama might harm the country.

Liberals? It's all about how they feel. It's not about the country, it's about them. Take this bit from HuffPo contributor Larry David, which I posted about not long ago:
I can't take much more of this. Two weeks to go, and I'm at the end of my rope. I can't work. I can eat, but mostly standing up. I'm anxious all the time and taking it out on my ex-wife, which, ironically, I'm finding enjoyable.
Or check out this previous post of mine, or this one, both of which give examples of how fucked up in the head conservative candidates make them. When they do talk about the negative effect such candidates might have (or have had) on the country, they embarrass themselves with outrageous hyperbole of the worst kind, comparing the Bush administration to the Third Reich, Gitmo to Auschwitz or the Soviet Gulags, and so on. Nothing based in reality, of course, just nonsensical paranoid fantasies.

If mental stability were a prerequisite for voting, we could have a government almost completely free of Democrats.

No comments: