Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Escalation


I've been following off and on for the past year and a half or so the growing trend in acts of sea piracy off the coast of Somalia, but I had no idea it was this bad. The image above is a zoom of the Google map at the link. Each marker represents a hijacking or attempted hijacking this year.

Now these guys have captured a super tanker and will, in all likelihood, get the ransom they want. As I've said before, this huge increase in piracy got going in full swing after western governments started choking off funds to al Qaeda and their affiliates, and almost certainly represents a new way of putting money into their pipeline.

It's well past time to get serious about stopping this.

5 comments:

Tyler said...

Eric, since you've moved to Feedburner, the posts aren't showing up in Google Reader

JR said...

Wait ... Somali pirates are not afraid of the Messiah?

Eric said...

Damn...I didn't think Feedburner would bollocks up the regular RSS feed.

Tyler said...

Yea it's only show the post title and nothing in the post like it used too. I'll have to play with it when I get home.

Eric said...

I think it's another setting I changed when I did that. Try it again.