Saturday, May 24, 2008

Drama queens

Some time in the last few days, my wife received in the mail a promotional copy of Rolling Stone magazine. I stopped reading RS years ago when the measure of political commentary started creeping up. Loved their music coverage, hated their politics, and RS never misses a chance to give know-nothing rockers a stage for political commentary. Just as I was about to take it outside to pick up my dog's crap with it, I spotted a teaser on the cover about an upcoming Alison Krauss/Robert Plant summer tour. Dog crap clean-up would have to wait.

Thumbing through the rag, I came across an interview with Ben Gibbard of Death Cab for Cutie. The one song I could think of by the band was Soul Meets Body, which I thought was an OK tune, so I read the column. The inevitable deranged leftist political comment came about two thirds in:
"After the 2004 election, I was a fucking mess. I think that if we could survive another four years of that administration, we can survive anything."
So, let me get this straight. According to Gibbard, living through the Bush administration has been more trying than, say, the Revolutionary War, the American Civil War, World War I, the Great Depression, World War II, and 9/11. Guess what, Ben? You're still a fucking mess, and a drama queen to boot.

Pardon me...I've got to go clean up some dog crap. I can read about the Alison Krauss/Robert Plant tour on the Internet. For free.

No comments: