Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Self-indulgent space filler post

This is not a gift I'll be bringing home for the wife.

I'm on yet another west coast trip, with not much time for posting anything meaningful. So, here's a completely meaningless post.

I arrived in Palo Alto this evening a bit early for a dinner engagement, so I wandered around doing a bit of window-shopping. Now, I'm a bit of a Persian carpet nut, so when I saw this "carpet gallery" (rug store would be far too low-browed for this place), I had to check it out. The first thing I saw when I walked in was this carpet, which measures 33 feet long, and if I recall correctly, 9 feet wide.

I asked the salesman (curator?) the price, which naturally wasn't marked on the carpet. The response: "one point two". I assume he didn't mean 1.2 thousand.

For the curious, the carpet is made of silk, and is from the city of Qum in Iran.

No comments: