Monday, November 26, 2007

Woman names teddy bear 'Mohamed'; gets sentenced to 40 lashes


A British school teacher in Sudan was turned into the authorities by parents of her students for naming her teddy bear 'Mohamed'. She'll receive 40 lashes for her, uh, cultural faux pas.
A British teacher is facing 40 lashes from police in Sudan where she has been accused of insulting Islam after naming a Teddy bear Mohamed.

Gillian Gibbons, 54, was being questioned at a police station in the capital Khartoum.

She had been working at one of the city's exclusive British schools for the past three months since giving up her job in Liverpool.

Police arrived at the old-fashioned brick and stone buildings of the Unity High School on Sunday to arrest Miss Gibbons after a complaint from parents that she had named the bear after Islam's most holy prophet Mohamed.

An angry mob shouted death threats as she was taken away.
Ain't Sharia grand?

3 comments:

Fidothedog said...

First we had the Mo cartoons, then the Mo-doggie, then the Mo-cat, then the anoyance at piglet, now a toy bear.

Oh love the Mo-bear mock up(PBUH as the moslems say)

Linked to this

Eric said...

Yeah, I know. The jewel in the center is a bit of a give-away.

I know the difference between Sikhs and Muslims, but that was the only image I could find on Google images that I could make work with my crude graphic editing skills.

Anonymous said...

My first impulse was to get me a Teddy Bear & name it Mohammed or however you want to spell it. (They can't even seem to agree on the spelling). Everyone should. Not as someone suggested, have an identifiable manufacturer who would surely be jepordized (spelt that wrong), but every other person who is outraged at one particular religion being whipped up by their leaders and threatening the rest of the world. I am of the opinion that if I don't choose Islam or Christianity, I am not bound by their rules. Out of courtesy I respect their rules, but if I am forced I will retaliate. How dare they. Until public outcry starts to control their behaviour they will continue to act like spoiled children in need of some discipline. I think it is time for one hundred million teddy bears named Mohammed