Thursday, May 25, 2006

Gratuitous fluff post


OK, I'll admit it. I'm an American Idol fan. The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem, right? Seriously though, it's fun to watch. Besides the bickering amongst the judges, there's some real singing talent there.

This year I thought offered the best crop yet. Early on, I was a huge fan of Chris Daughtry. I was so angry when he was voted off, I nearly stopped watching the show. I still think he should have won. Daughtry is one of those rare talents who can sing anything, except maybe opera. But he'll do just fine...the band Fuel has offered him a job, and if he can escape the evil corporate clutches of Idol, he'll be a household name for years to come.

But it came down tonight to Taylor Hicks and Katherine McPhee. After Daughtry, Hicks was my personal favorite. If anybody embodied a passion for music, it was Hicks. I got the impression that he would have paid for the privilege of sharing his love of music with the public.

In the end, I think it was his joy and passion that beat out McPhee's more polished and seemingly calculated performances. Not to detract from McPhee's obvious talent at all...she's got a killer voice. But maybe the American public isn't so shallow, after all.

No comments: