Friday, March 13, 2009

'I'm tired'

A buddy forwarded me one of those e-mails that was a long essay, and I almost closed it for later reading due to its length, but after the first paragraph I ended up reading the whole thing. At the end was a blurb about the blog it came from, which is now one of my daily must-reads. The original blog post can be found here. It opens:
I’ll be 63 soon. Except for one semester in college when jobs were scarce, and a six-month period when I was between jobs, but job-hunting every day, I’ve worked, hard, since I was 18. Despite some health challenges, I still put in 50-hour weeks, and haven’t called in sick in seven or eight years. I make a good salary, but I didn’t inherit my job or my income, and I worked to get where I am. Given the economy, there’s no retirement in sight, and I’m tired. Very tired.

I’m tired of being told that I have to “spread the wealth around” to people who don’t have my work ethic. I’m tired of being told the government will take the money I earned, by force if necessary, and give it to people too lazy or stupid to earn it.
Read the whole thing.

No comments: