Saturday, February 02, 2008

The Telecaster Titan

In the previous post I mentioned that Bill Kirchen, who played a show last night at the Colonial Tavern in Fredericksburg, VA, wrote the intro to Commander Cody's Hot Rod Lincoln. That was just an impression I'd picked up from a news article, and I didn't realize he was actually a core member of that '70s "Rockabilly" band.

The man put on a fantastic show last night, and is an absolute master of his craft. At the age of 60, he plays as energetically as any 15 year old with his first electric guitar, but with the wisdom and mastery that only comes with age, experience and tractor trailer loads of talent.

He plays a Fender Telecaster that's probably as old as I am, and he plays it like nobody I've seen. He palms the knobs as he's playing notes to make the sound of a truck horn or a train, does impressions of musicians like Jimi Hendrix, and just gets the audience eating out of the palm of his hand. He's one of the best guitarists I've ever seen live, certainly the best I've seen in a small venue.

He tours extensively, so check here to see if you're lucky enough to have him playing near you.

No comments: