Monday, April 28, 2008

What's wrong with Wright?

Between yesterday's address to the NAACP and this morning's speech to the National Press Club, today's news has been wall-to-wall coverage of Barack Obama's spiritual adviser, Rev. Jeremiah Wright. And frankly, the more I hear him talk, the more I despise him. With every utterance, it becomes clearer that the man hates America and views his own country as ruled by - and for - white racists. He elevates racial demagoguery to a whole new level and makes race hustlers like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton look like amateurs. I know not one single person who publicly or privately holds such a jaundiced view of America.

In casting the "attacks" on him as attacks against all black churches, he puts all pastors of black churches under a pall, because he's effectively saying that the venom and hatred he spews is the same venom and hatred spewed at all black churches. I've never been to a black church (I don't even go to "white" churches these days), but I've never before considered the possibility that black churches everywhere in these United States were spewing seditious hatred. Now?

During the Q&A segment of his talk to the NPC today (click here for transcript), Wright had this to say as part of his response to a question about his relationship with Louis Farrakhan:
Louis Farrakhan is not my enemy. He did not put me in chains. He did not put me in slavery. And he didn’t make me this color.
If his enemies are the people who did those things, then Wright resents things that didn't even happen to him, and he resents being black.

What's with this guy?

No comments: