Saturday, April 04, 2009

Smart power: You're doing it wrong


When Barack Obama went hat in hand to his European pals this week, I'll bet he was sure he'd get nothing but eager agreement to his requests for European countries to contribute more to the effort in Afghanistan. He found out pretty quickly that while Europeans might love him and hate Bush, they still don't like us very much. And, collectively speaking, I don't think a plurality of Europeans ever have.

The above cartoon, which I lifted from Theo's place, refers to the economic issues but can just as easily be applied to any other global problem Obama might ask for help with.

Which reminded me of some lyrics from that old George Thorogood song, One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer:
So I go down the streets,
down to my good friend's house
I said "Look man I'm outdoors you know,
can I stay with you maybe a couple days?"
He said "Uh, Let me go and ask my wife"
He come out of the house,
I could see in his face
I know that was no
He said "I don't know man, ah she kinda funny, you know"
I said "I know, everybody funny, now you funny too"

7 comments:

Charles said...

One bourbon, one scotch, one beer

John Lee Hooker did it first. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIvka3SSv9Y

Charles said...

John Lee may have written the baddest tune ever. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J3j74R9dbw

Eric said...

Yeah, I should have realized that it wasn't a Thorogood original.

Charles said...

I'm gonna try that link thing here on you blog. Hope you don't mind. :)

Charles said...

Charles said...

Well this ain't workin out. :(

Eric said...

Must be missing something. Copy what you're trying to do into an e-mail and send it to me. I'll see if I can figure out what you've got wrong.

DAMN Blogger for not putting a link tool button into the comments!