Saturday, May 02, 2009

Copyright thuggery



According to Patterico, Perez Hilton had this video pulled from YouTube over a copyright claim, when it clearly is protected under Fair Use. Patterico is pretty passionate on this particular form of suppression of free speech:
It is clear that Hilton is embarrassed by what he said, and he is using a transparently frivolous copyright claim to try to squelch free speech about his ridiculous statements.

I’m not standing for it.

If Hilton sends me a DMCA takedown notice, I’m going to fight it — and I may sue him. I have never seen a clearer example of fair use in my life. The video shows a mere three seconds of Hilton calling Prejean a “dumb bitch” (the word is bleeped out). Later, there is a one-second clip of the same video confined to a small box at the bottom right-hand portion of the screen, as the announcer intones: “They want to silence opposition.” He had no idea how right he was.
I snagged a copy of the video from Patterico's link using savevid.com, so if it gets taken down from my account, I'll just upload it again.

No comments: