Tuesday, July 21, 2009

"Tranquility base, here..."



Yeah, I know, I'm a day late here. But then again, I'm hopelessly behind on blogging as it is. Just too much work and travel (just got back from two weeks in Europe) and too little time for posting anything worthwhile. But I couldn't let this go unnoted here.

I was nine years old when Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong walked on the moon, and remember it like it was last week. I still get the chills whenever I hear that line "Tranquility Base, here...The Eagle has landed".

On a side note, back around 1967 or '68, I was living in Lima, Peru where my dad was posted to the US embassy. For whatever reason, the Apollo 11 crew was making the rounds, and I met Aldrin, Armstrong and Command Module pilot Michael Collins at the embassy. I remember my dad telling me and my brother that they were going to be the first to the moon. I don't know if I believed him at the time...my dad's a notorious puller of legs.

1 comment:

Mr. Bingley said...

Wow, pretty neat to have met them!