Saturday, May 26, 2018

NFL rules and the first amendment

National Football League owners approved a rule this week requiring on-field players and team staff to stand during the national anthem. Predictably on the left, there's a 4-alarm freakout over first amendment rights and threats to boycott the NFL.

Jacksonville Jaguars defensive end Dawuane Smoot weighed in on Twitter:
OK, everyone, repeat after me: "This is not a first amendment issue!"

Freedom of speech still exists for Dawuane Smoot and every other player in the NFL. The first amendment to the constitution restrains the government from infringing on your rights to freedom of speech, not your employer.

My employer often sends me to speak at marketing and industry events, and if I opened a talk with "...but first, let me cram my pet social justice cause down your throat", I'd be quickly shown the door, and for very good reason.

Go ahead and use your fame and name recognition to protest, but do it on your own time. Better yet, use some of that fat paycheck and buy some commercial air time during the game to make your statement.

No comments: